Minimalistica by John Carey


“Minimalistica” by John Carey is the second book by British card magician John Carey released in late 2015.

I took the opportunity to buy this book from John (he had a sale on his website) along with other two books “Carey Files”, and “Me, My Cards and I”.

I was familiar with his work, because I already have his first book “Crafted with Carey”.
When I began to read “Crafted with Carey”, I immediately fell in love because the magic described inside is practical, powerful, and doable.

“Minimalistica” also give us this feeling because each effect inside is created with lay audience in mind.

John follows the format of his book before and also includes work by his good friends. You will find over fifty card miracles from John and eleven from: Tom Dobrowolski, Patrick Redford, David Gemmell, Shaun McCree, J.K.Hartman, Paul Gordon, Pablo Amira, Ben Blau and by the end special part hosted by Shannon Clark.

Effects are easy to understand, written well on one or two pages. Some effects demand same technique. Each effect is accompanied by a small art piece on the left hand side of the page and sometimes accompanied with illustration of technique by Phillip Smith.

Effects written by the guests are on few pages with detailed descriptions.

In the foreword Mick Wilson writes:

“There is a banquet of food for thought within these pages. Even if you never perform a single effect as described the methods and “bits of business” are dynamic enough to be taken and used to create further astonishment or to enhance effects you already perform.“

So if you are in search for little card miracles and you don’t want to spend to much time dealing with complicated sleights this book is right for you.

Personally I slightly prefer “Crafted with Carey”, but “Minimilistica” is one nice book and I am happy to have it in my little collection.

I am looking forward to more works from John Carey.

Minimalistica, 275 pages, Hardbound, with black and white illustration and art pieces.










Review: Saša Gerber
Review Editor: Lee Alex

Primjedbe